Monday, 6 June 2011

KOREA: KIM CHI AND DINOSAUR TRACKS

Many years ago, I was working for a Canadian/Norwegian company that sold log homes to Japanese and Korean buyers eager to have a taste of the "traditional" Scandinavian mixed with the West Coast experience. Young and willing to work for pennies plus my living allowance, I'd always thought I was hired for my language skills.

It was years later, upon looking at old photographs, that it dawned on me that my actual job, the one I was hired to do -- was stand at the from of the room flipping large photographs of log homes during afternoon presentations. I was a Canadian/Norwegian Vanna White doing much the same task, only in budding Japanese. Conichiwa!

This photograph was taken on a trip to Seoul, Korea, where we were meeting up with wholesalers and business folk eager to expand their networks. I spend a lovely afternoon visiting and enjoying a sizzling hot barbeque complete with beetles (yes, beetles!) and ample kim chi. Some of the staff agreed to join me outside for a photograph. As we posed, I thought how sweet the girls were in their traditional garb and how little. Upon seeing the final photograph, however, I was shocked to realize I was shorter than all but one. Apparently I'm taller in my mind's eye.

While in Korea, I did get to see some of their impressive Cretaceous dinosaur trackways, one of which is now proposed as a World Heritage Site. South Korea also boasts impressive trackways of shore birds and bountiful petrified wood. I've included coordinates for a few additional sites well worth a visit.

Fossil Sites of Korea:

Uhang-ri, Hwangsan-myeon, Haenam-gun, Jeollanam-do:
(34°45' N, 126°25' E)

Bibong-ri, Deungnyang-myeon, Boseong-gun, Jeollanam-do:
(34°45' N, 127°10' E)

Sado-ri, Hwajeong-myeon, City of Yeosu, Jeollanam-do:
(34°34'-37' N, 127°31'-34' E)

Seoyu-ri, Buk-myeon, Hwasun-gun, Jeollanam-do:
(35°09'51" N, 127°36'31" E)

Deongmyeong-ri, Hai-myeon, Goseong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do:
(34°54' N, 128°08' E)